The Egungun Guy

 The Egungun guy 






There are no type of people you will not see while you're dating or trying to date. And I have definitely met many interesting men on Nirvanae.

That's how I met this young bloke called Dayo. Dayo had the face of a sweet boy, like a really kind face that makes you just want to know the person. But his bio said, "Egungun is not a masquerade!"



 I was Intrigued, so I accepted. Lol now that I think of it, my curiosity always gets me into the craziest situations. Anyway, it turned out, Dayo was a massive egungun enthusiast. Egungun, for those who don't know, are those fascinating masked Yoruba spirits that appear during festivals. 






Dayo could talk about egungun costumes, rituals, and history for hours. He even had pictures of himself participating in egungun ceremonies. I love every form of cultural appreciation, but the love that Dayo had for this egungun thing was clearly too much. Our first date was a trip to a museum exhibit on Yoruba masks,






It was interesting to be fair, but I didn't like how normal the situation was becoming. The final straw was when he suggested that we attend one egungun festival hours away from Lagos. Don't get me wrong, the idea of experiencing a traditional ceremony was interesting, but spending the entire weekend surrounded by masked spirits wasn't exactly my idea of a romantic experience. So, with a heavy heart, and small fear of seeing my man dancing in a masquerade outfit, I had to end the relationship with Dayo. He was actually a lovely guy with a fascinating passion, but our interests just didn't align. I needed to be with someone who will only see Masquerades on the news




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Jollof Master

My Mr Not So Right