ATM With Feelings

 Have you heard the phrase "lean on me, no mean press me die?"

For those who do not understand this, it's a colloquialism used by Nigerians that simply means to not put all your financial burdens on a person. This is something Gwen clearly did not know about.


Our first date was filled with activity. We started at an Art gallery, went for a sip and paint and ended at this really fancy restaurant for dinner. I liked her, from the few conversations we had. she was a cool person and I wanted to impress her. The date went great and after some weeks we officially became a couple.
Everything seemed fine at first, until I realised i was so close to getting sent to my village. I noticed my finances had dipped, it was one thing or the other with her everyday.

Gwen was lovely, no doubt. Her laugh was infectious and she could make even our most boring conversations interesting. But soon came the financial chaos. At first, it was little things -  new lipstick, a pair of shoes, a weekend getaway. And being the gentleman I was, I obliged. But soon, the requests escalated. It was a new phone, then rent, then a surprise birthday party for her sister. I felt like an ATM with feelings.

I remember one evening, my reality dawned on me, i was staring at my empty account like i just got robbed. That was when I realized that the phrase "lean on me no mean press me die" had never been more relevant. I had to have a heart-to-heart with Gwen.

It wasn’t easy, but I explained my situation calmly. I told her about my financial goals and how her constant requests were making it difficult for me to achieve them. To my surprise, Gwen was understanding. She apologized for being inconsiderate and promised to be more mindful of my situation.

We agreed to sit down and budget together, to find a balance that worked for both of us. It wasn't the smoothest patch, but it was a necessary one. In the end, we realized that our relationship was built on more than just financial transactions. It was about shared experiences, laughter, and mutual respect. And that, I realized, was far more valuable than any material possession.

While we eventually decided to part ways, it wasn’t bitter. We had a frank conversation about our differences and agreed to remain friends. After all, some relationships are better left as beautiful memories than stressful realities.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Egungun Guy

The Storm Bringer

The WhatsApp Menace